Saturday, September 15, 2007

Becoming Jane

*This may spoil the movie for those of you who haven't seen it and still want to*

So today felt like the perfect movie day. It's a cool, fall, Saturday afternoon and so my mom and I headed out to see the latest romantic drama "Becoming Jane". It was this movie that made me contemplate the saying "It's better to have loved and lost, than to never have loved before." Is it true, or would it really be better to spare yourself the heartache? I don't know if I could have done it, if I could have been so noble as to put Tom (Jane's lover) and his family over my love for him. Could I walk away like she had?

I guess it makes me thankful to live in the present. In these days, when you love someone, you marry them. You don't have to be rich, or in the right family in order to be successful. In those days you were born into success. You couldn't work yourself up, and there was no middle ground. So what of poverty stricken couples in love? Is tragedy all that was ever to become of their relationships?

Jane never married again, and neither did her sister. I think the actors did a wonderful job of showing the desire for companionship in the other. Especially when meeting again. There was that air of regret, of what could have been, but never would have been.

The perfect way to describe "Becoming Jane" would be "Tragically Romantic"

No comments: