Tuesday, December 11, 2007

If you want to know who I am.....one place you'll be sure to find something is in my music

I was just downstairs playing around on the piano in my living room. I was switching between the songs that I've written over the past year or so and I was just thinking back to events that influenced the songs. Each one that I've written has been inspired by something, someone, or some place. There's great significance in each one for me, because each one communicates something I've gone through. My music is a true and raw expression of me. And every time I play one of them it helps me remember what events in my life have brought me closer to Him. I think one of the hardest things to do would be to sing a song that you 1. don't understand, and 2. cannot relate to. And by not being able to relate I mean not having experienced whatever is being experienced in the song.

"I'm just a girl who's holding fast to a promise that he has a plan for my life"
"And I have trials and hopes and secrets and things about me, but do these things define me?"
"So If you don't care, then just don't flatter me"
"Don't you know you're playing with my heartstrings?"
"It's crazy what she'll do for love.... It's amazing what he'll do to love her"
"So this is what it feels like to fly"
"Hear my whisper to your soul"
"I miss you but I'm happy you're in heaven now with Jesus."


These are all pieces of me. These are things that have brought me to where I am right now.

And the cool thing with music is the fact that what a song means to me, might end up meaning something totally different to someone else. It's up for interpretation.

K

No comments: