Friday, December 18, 2009

It's Christmas time.

I used to be really into painting. In fact I have 7 painted canvases hung up on my wall, and a storage room downstairs with a shelf dedicated to paints, brushes, and art supplies.

I've never considered myself to be an incredible artist, but I've always liked how painting quiets me down. It takes me away for a little while, to a more peaceful place and it gives me a whole bunch of time to just think ... about everything.

I guess I forgot that feeling. Chalk it up to life, or the excuse of not knowing what to paint, or being busy and trying to stay on top of being a university student - which, by the way, is not as glamourous as it sounds ... really.

But since it's Christmastime I decided to pull out the old paintbrush and paint some Christmas cards - like I like to do every year for those of you that know me. Last year I didn't get around to it, which is a shame.

I take a blank white sheet of cardstock, cut it, fold it, and then paint on Christmas trees, and angels, manger scenes and snowmen ... anything Christmas-y that my little heart desires.

They're simple, but I like it that way.

I even put in a little extra effort so that they would look extra special this year.
I've done 5 so far, and I probably need a few more.

But anyways, I just thought I'd share that after a frustrating evening of studying and paper outlines, and uncertainty about the future - a simple enough thing such as painting cards has me feeling a little bit better.

Maybe everything is ... ok ... with the world after all.

K

No comments: