Monday, March 09, 2009

I hate that a number tells me how imperfect I am.
That a percent has the power to provide me with thousands of dollars.
I hate that learning and experience are not what's important anymore but rather a number out of a hundred.
I hate it when teachers tell me to not be so concerned with marks, when the world tells me I need to.
I hate that the reality is, in fact, that marks do matter.
I'm not perfect.
I don't want to be.
But the world has an expectation.
And for this season of my life, that expectation has to matter to me. Because that's just the way the system works.
I hate the system.

I think it's stupid.

K

1 comment:

kathleen said...

I think the system is stupid too. I think the whole entire schooling system needs to change.

But it won't. At least not for awhile.

Your worth isn't wrapped up in percentages though. Marks might matter but in the long run...

Who am I to talk though? I've always cared about my grades... I think though in retrospect I wish I hadn't cared as much. I think that university has taught me it's not so much about the number as it is about the learning. I started learning this in gr. 12 when this self-inflicted pressure to get perfect grades started getting to me.

I know I'm just talking in circles... marks do matter; they don't matter.

I just wanted to let you know, I get what you're saying.