Tuesday, June 17, 2008

Will you be my lover?

How do we know how to love?
Personally, I think that we would not know how to if we were not loved in the first place.
I think that without the perfect love of the Father that we would be incapable of love. Whether we realize it or not, His love compels us to love.

And even if we realize that He loves us. Can we ever know how fully, deeply, and passionately He does? What if we were just satisfied with, "Jesus loves me, this I know, for the bible tells me so." I know I'm not. I don't want to know that I'm loved simply because I read it in scripture. I want to know that Jesus loves me through revelation from the Father; through intimate personal relationship with Him.

It makes me wonder then. I know I'm capable of love. I know that I love my family. I know that I love my friends. I know that I can love a man that will eventually come into my life. But there is a difference between love that comes from us as humans, a love that comes through us from the Father. I want to be able to love in a way that the Father does. Love my family, my friends, and my future husband in a way that isn't selfish, that isn't self-serving, but stems from the love that made us capable to love. It'll take time, if not the rest of my life to even come close to learning and experiencing this kind of love from the father.

But it's a good thing.
Because, how can we ever be lovers, if we don't even understand real, passionate, and unconditional love?

2 comments:

Kamela said...

Hey sweet. I was reading John 15 the other day and its like basically a pretty similar thing to what you wrote. If you haven't read it before, read it. Or maybe, you already have read it, and thats why you wrote such an awesome blog post?? hmm? anyways. I'll see you around!! enjoy yer week!

kathleen said...

selfless love. i've been doing actually a lot of rethinking on that one. good rethinking.

i think learning how to selflessly love is really hard. but there's just something so beautiful about it. and there's just something so beautiful about realizing that you really loved a person. with that kind of Christ like love. not anywhere close to the way He has loved us. but somewhere heading towards it.